About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Tuesday, March 30, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Heaven, I’m in Heaven… jelly pepper cheese cookies

March seems to be my month because this is the second cheese cookie/cracker recipe I ran across this month and when Michelle from BigBlackDog posted about a jelly pepper cheese cookie I knew I had to give it a try.
See not only can’t I resist a good cheese but I still have several jars of jelly pepper in my pantry that I made two seasons ago when we had a lot of peppers in our garden. I never had jelly pepper before and thought it would be a good time to make some and try it.
Try I did and we found that we are just not really sweet savory type of people. I do love my zucchini relish and zucchini chutney though despite the sweetness they do have.
Coming across this recipe was like a little gift. I mentioned before that we will be leaving Germany this summer so I have 2 month left to clear out my freezer and pantry. So much food, such little time.
May I present to you…..(drum roll)…..the lovely and versatile Jelly pepper cheese cookie!..(Applause)

DSCF1348


Ingredients

8 oz (2 cups) Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a mixture of Havarti and Monterey Jack with Jalapeno peppers, I told you I am using up all I have)
6T (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened (next time I would reduce this to 4T)
1 cup flour
1/3 cup hot pepper jelly

DSCF1352
DSCF1353
DSCF1354
DSCF1355
DSCF1356
Cut cheese into some pieces and use a kitchen machine to cut mix the cheese with the flour until you have very small pieces. Add the butter and pulse or mix until the dough comes together.
Place the dough into a covered bowl and cool in the fridge for at least 40 min.
DSCF1324
DSCF1326
Form balls (1tsp each) and places them on a covered cookie sheet (parchment etc.).
Heat your oven to 400F and bake cookies for 5 minutes.
DSCF1337
DSCF1334
DSCF1336 Use the back of your rolling pin or wooden spoon and press the dough down. Fill with hot pepper jelly and return to the oven.
DSCF1339 DSCF1345
Bake for 8 minutes more. You will have to check for color. They will have a nice golden glow when they are done. Each oven is different so check at around 8 minutes and judge from there.
Michelle mentioned that this makes about 20 cookies so her balls must have been much bigger than mine because I got double that. I found the size I made though perfect for a bite.
DSCF1346
DSCF1347
These cookies are quite delicious especially when they are still warm. The recipe is very close to the other one I made so I would reduce the butter next time to match the other and possibly add a little water if need be.
They were just a little to buttery for my taste but I really did enjoy them right out of the oven after just cooling for a tad.
                         It was a little piece of Heaven right there.

1 comments:

Dean W said...

I enjoyed readding your post

Post a Comment



Followers