About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Thursday, April 1, 2010

PostHeaderIcon What do you do when sleep will not find you?…6 HBin5 - Carrot Bread -

You think about Aprils Bread braid for the HBin5 assignment, that’s what you do and might I add this sleepless night was quite worth it.
Yesterday afternoon I mixed up the batch for Aprils carrot bread dough. I knew I was going to make a loaf for sure but had no idea what to do with this loaf or the dough that might be left over.
Sometimes a loaf is just all you really need but as I was laying in bed last night waiting for sleep to find me I started to picture breakfast. One of my favorites being a slice of bread, rolled flat and filled into a muffin pan, brushed with a maple syrup mixture, cooked bacon, an egg cracked into the middle and all baked in the oven until the egg is cooked. I wanted to make some slices of this bread into just that breakfast after the loaf was baked. As I was thinking of just that breakfast and the muffin pan I started to think about the mini muffin pan I had recently acquired (I told you I was waiting for sleep to find me) and as I started to picture that pan a plan for the next mornings baking came together.
I am quite excited with the outcome so let me show you the result.
DSCF1309


1/2 recipe of Carrot Bread dough HBin5 book page 157-159

Changes:
I had no wheat germ so I used shredded flax seed and wheat bran instead.
Instead of chopped nuts I used ground almonds that needed to be used up.
No dried fruit inside the dough.

Apricot filled mini carrot bread
DSCF1335
DSCF1338
DSCF1341
Fill an apricot with nougat (nutella would work too). Place a hazelnut in the middle and close the apricot.
DSCF1343
DSCF1348
Press dough into circle and place into the buttered mini muffin pan. I needed some extra flour since this dough was pretty wet. Place filled apricot in the middle.
DSCF1359 Bake at 350 for about 20-25 min. I turned them over after 20 min. and baked another 5 minutes for a crispier bottom.
DSCF1306                      Sprinkle with powdered sugar or glaze them.

These turned out very nice. Makes a nice snack with a fresh glass of milk.
Don’t let the look “fool” you into thinking you have a light, cake like muffin. This is a bread dough and having said that I wish you a Happy April’s fools day!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Yummy...yum..yum! Love the idea of 1 single apricot and then dusted with Powdered Sugar. What a wonderful adaption!

Bonnie said...

Wow. That is a great idea. I'd love one of these. Would you make them again? I woke up to 6 inches of snow. Not kidding, That's what I call April Fools. It's supposed to be spring.

Mama Peck said...

What a lovely idea!! I'm sorry you had to lose some sleep to come up with it, but, it sure looks like it was worth it. :) Chocolate.. hazelnut, dried apricots..I'm drooling just thinking about it! I love how creative this group is- Thanks for sharing!!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Oh my goodness they look great! Very creative.

Cristie said...

Well . . . these look completely wonderful. I do wish you lived a little closer and I would run right over and try one out!

Elwood said...

What a great idea. These look really delicious.

Raelyn said...

Wow - that is impressive. Love the thought you put into it.

GA Jane said...

Wow...Glad I haven't used my dough yet!

Thanks for the great idea.

Teresa said...

I think yours is the most creative use of the carrot bread dough. Looks wonderful. Hope you sleep better tonight :)

Post a Comment



Followers