About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Chocolate bread pudding, what can I say….(3 HBin5 –Chocolate/espresso dough)

Is it just me or does the word “chocolate” alone make the world seem brighter.
This chocolate pudding surely did that job for me despite the cold February we had. No sun, no problem, just give me some of that chocolate bread pudding!
DSCF1048Remember those chocolate-espresso-orange-bars from valentines day?
They played a major roll in this dessert.
Close to a week after valentines day we still had 3/4 pan of these bars leftover. They where not that big of a hit here though they where not bad by any means. I also still had one heart leftover and I started thinking that I really would like to use them up before they spoil.
I cut up the bread and made a simple custard like this.
Heat 2c milk (I used some cream for milk as well) and melt 1/4c butter in it.
In a separate dish lightly beat 2 eggs and 1/2c sugar. Slowly add some of the milk mixture to the egg mixture. When all is incorporated fill bread and custard into a buttered baking dish and bake at 350F.
About 40 min. later we had one delicious dessert. Unfortunately the picture does not give credit to that statement. We ate it with vanilla sauce.
After eating this bread pudding I called myself a “knuckle head” because I had actually dumped that apple strudel bread from earlier that month and I bet it would have redeemed itself in a similar bread pudding fashion.
So I will file this under “lesson learned” and think hard about how to give a bread we might not enjoy another chance in another form. I urge you to do the same.
Into March i march…….

7 comments:

Jessica said...

What a neat idea!

Bonnie said...

Wow, I never thought of using the bread in a bread pudding. You are clever. I hate throwing the leftovers away.

Michelle said...

I love using leftover bread for bread pudding!! And Bread Pudding is one of my husband's favs!

Great idea!

Jenny said...

I made bunches of bread pudding to use up leftover breads when I first got the ABin5 and HBin5 books, but alas we are trying to diet now and that stuff is too tempting!!! And chocolate--oh my!
~Jenny~

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

This looks yummy! I also like to use leftover bread for bread pudding. Very practical!

Femalechef said...

looks great.....delish!!!

Judy's Bakery & Test Kitchen said...

Wow, what a great idea!

Post a Comment



Followers