Wednesday, March 3, 2010
11:37 AM | Edit Post
March came in roaring like a lion in my part of the world. Strong winds and icy cold.I am ready to wish winter a “good riddance” and so I
While I can’t visit those olive trees I can get the second best thing, extra virgin olive oil right out of my pantry. With this I’ll whip up some 100% whole wheat bread dough with olive oil right out of the HBin5 book. You can find the recipe here.
I have been following Michelle from big black dog since the beginning of this year together with a group of fellow bakers. The purpose is to “bake” through the HBin5 book. I joined this group to challenge myself to try many of the recipes inside this book that I might otherwise not have tried. So why not join in on the fun and bake some wholesome bread at the same time.
I was very excited about this bread. I like Indian and Arabic style breads very much and my take on the suggestions for this dough where right along that line.
Focaccia with Roasted corn and Goat cheese was on the menu. I was very much looking forward to that one but when I mixed up my dough I changed my mind. I like focaccia’s and knew that this dough would not give me what I wanted, a real focaccia. So I will use that topping on a real focaccia dough sometimes this month with toppings and dimples and all.
My first take was Msemmen (Algerian Flatbread) on page 229. We had a chickpea/spinach/beef curry for lunch and this would complement it well.
I liked this bread quite a bit but I would not roll it out after the rise and leave it coiled like a snail and bake it that way in the oven. I will try that out soon and post an update then.
Michelle asked in the HBin5 forum about our favorite kitchen gadgets.
Here are two of the gadgets I would not want to bake without.
A French rolling pin and a bench knife.
The bread above was rolled with this pin and the mess was cleaned up with that bench knife.
Labels: HBin5-No Knead
- Bread (1)
- Bread Pudding (1)
- Bundt Cake (1)
- Cake (1)
- Canning (2)
- Cheese (5)
- crackers (2)
- Easter (1)
- Flatbreads / Pizza (1)
- HBin5-No Knead (18)
- Make your own (4)
- Mellow Bakers (1)
- Pasta (2)
- Pie (3)
- Quick Breads (5)
- Rolls and such (1)
- Rye (1)
- Sandwich Bread (1)
- Schwarzbrot (1)
- Sheet cake (3)
- Sheet cake w/yeast (2)
- snacks (1)
- Sourdough (2)
- Sweet breads (1)
- The Modern Baker (11)
- Yogurt (2)
- Heaven, I’m in Heaven… jelly pepper cheese cookies...
- Wednesday Cake “Blob cake”
- Nothing fishy about that… (Gold fish crackers)
- Nutty squirrels…(Buttermilk cake with walnut)
- With the luck of the Irish….(5 HBin5 –Pesto/Pine n...
- Bagels anyone? (5 HBin5 –Avocado/Guacamole dough)
- It’s that time of month again… (5 HBin5 –Avocado-G...
- That is how you eat your math….(Cherry Pie)
- Carrot cake
- A cupboard full of preserves…..(Jam-packed Streuse...
- Toastbrot mit Weizensauerteig /Sandwich bread with...
- Oh, oh! necessity makes inventive
- Sourdough, it does not get much better than this
- Gotta get that Vitamin C somehow! Lemon sheet cake...
- Where India and the Middle East meet…. ...
- Mediterranean flair and the roaring of a lion… ...
- Chocolate bread pudding, what can I say….(3 HBin5 ...
- ▼ March (17)