About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Mediterranean flair and the roaring of a lion… (4 HBin5 –WW/with olive oil dough)

March came in roaring like a lion in my part of the world. Strong winds and icy cold.
I am ready to wish winter a “good riddance” and so I daydream while listening to the wind outside of Mediterranean nights under olive trees. 
While I can’t visit those olive trees I can get the second best thing, extra virgin olive oil right out of my pantry. With this I’ll whip up some 100% whole wheat bread dough with olive oil right out of the HBin5 book. You can find the recipe here.
I have been following Michelle from big black dog since the beginning of this year together with a group of fellow bakers. The purpose  is to “bake” through the HBin5 book. I joined this group to challenge myself to try many of the recipes inside this book that I might otherwise not have tried. So why not join in on the fun and bake some wholesome bread at the same time.
I was very excited about this bread. I like Indian and Arabic style breads very much and my take on the suggestions for this dough where right along that line.
Focaccia with Roasted corn and Goat cheese was on the menu. I was very much looking forward to that one but when I mixed up my dough I changed my mind. I like focaccia’s and knew that this dough would not give me what I wanted, a real focaccia. So I will use that topping on a real focaccia dough sometimes this month with toppings and dimples and all.
My first take was Msemmen (Algerian Flatbread) on page 229. We had a chickpea/spinach/beef curry for lunch and this would complement it well.
DSCF1057 DSCF1056
DSCF1062 DSCF1063

DSCF1065 DSCF1067
DSCF1073 DSCF1076

DSCF1077
I liked this bread quite a bit but I would not roll it out after the rise and leave it coiled like a snail and bake it that way in the oven. I will try that out soon and post an update then.

DSCF1069
  




Michelle asked in the HBin5 forum about our favorite kitchen gadgets.
Here are two of the gadgets I would not want to bake without.
A French rolling pin and a bench knife.
The bread above was rolled with this pin and the mess was cleaned up with that bench knife.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

This looks delicious. I love the addition of the spinach. Where are you moving?

Michelle said...

Ymmmy, your chick peas and spinach looks like something that would be a big hit here! Love the idea of coiling up the dough too and it's so pretty!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

What a great idea to coil the dough. I'll have to try that! Lovely!

Judy's Bakery & Test Kitchen said...

Looks great! Would love to hear how it turns out if you don't roll it out.

What is that dome over your rising dough? Is it a bowl? Great idea!

Post a Comment



Followers