About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Sunday, March 14, 2010

PostHeaderIcon That is how you eat your math….(Cherry Pie)

It’s March 14 so it’s officially “Pi” day! In honor of this I defrosted the last sour cherries in my freezer and made a cherry pie.
Now that is how I like my math!
Make the crust I used for the apple pie. You can simply half the recipe because this one makes three crusts but you only need one and lattice for this one.

Cherry filling
I used a full quart Ziploc bag of sour cherries. Or use 6 c fresh or some canned ones.
1/4c cornstarch
1 – 1.5 c sugar
1-2T Tapioca (if you used frozen, you don’t need it if you used fresh)
just a hint of almond extract or amaretto
some egg lightly beaten (less than one)

Mix sugar, cornstarch and extract (you can also add a pinch of salt if that is how you roll) with the drained cherries. If your cherries are not so sour start with one cup of sugar. Add more if your cherries are sour.
Roll out your crust and fill your buttered pie dish with the crust. Add the filling and from the remaining dough make some lattice strips and lay the lattice on top. I don’t weave them because it creates a mess. It looks just fine without.

                                        Heat your oven to 425F
DSCF1099  I leave my dough hanging over and than roll it up to the top to seal it like this
DSCF1100
           Beat one egg and brush the lattice with it. Sprinkle with a little sugar.

Bake at 425F for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and cover your pie with a pie guard or some aluminum foil with a hole in the middle. Bake for about 25 more minutes.  DSCF1104
DSCF1101
                                                     Happy “Pi” day!

1 comments:

Linda said...

Your pie looks fabulous. If I could get mine to look half as good as this I would be happy. Thanks for the great recipes. Linda

Post a Comment



Followers