Friday, March 19, 2010
6:30 PM | Edit Post
When I checked my “Feed” yesterday one particular recipe jumped out at me like a fish in the pond.
Crispy, Crunchy, Cheesy: Homemade Cheese Crackers it screamed from "The Kitchn". How could I resist this siren’s call? I don’t know about you but I can’t resist anything that is crispy, crunchy or cheesy and all together it had me in it’s fangs right there.
From “The Kitchn” you can follow the trail of this recipe to it’s origin in cyber space. Off to my own ‘Kitchn’ I go.
Flour: got it
Salt: what kind of baker would I be….
ground pepper: Yup, but I am planning on going a different route
Cold, unsalted butter: Is there any other kind?
grated cheddar cheese: Yup but I also have plenty of Havarti and Monterey Jack with Jalapeno peppers so that is what I will use
cold water: My faucet runneth over
Five Ingredients is all that stands between me and those crispy, crunchy, cheesy homemade cheese crackers. That and some time.
I skipped the cheese grating part and the part where the butter is being cut into small pieces. Big junks will do it what are Kitchen machines for otherwise?
This is what my flour, salt, cheese and butter looked like when the kitchen machine was done with it. See, no grating needed.
The recipe said 3-4T water. I added 2 and found that this was all I needed so add one T after another.
This dough is ready for it’s chill in the fridge. Yum, I could not resist the smell of this dough. I have to get a grip of myself or there will not be any left to bake!
Chill for at least 20 minutes. Heat oven to 350F.
Cut out small shapes (fish if you like, I used a small shamrock)
Bake for about 15 minutes. Mine only took 12 minutes so watch after the 10 minute mark.
These are seriously good, so addictive. How in the world have I lived without them so long? These would be great at any party.
You can cut them in any shape and make them any size. Just adjust the baking time if you make them bigger.
My son just came home from school, they had just come out of the oven and his response was “they remind me of those fish crackers”. Ha, that’s exactly what they were to remind him off.
Update: I linked these crackers to Mommy's Kitchen Potluck Sunday 21. March 2010
- Bread (1)
- Bread Pudding (1)
- Bundt Cake (1)
- Cake (1)
- Canning (2)
- Cheese (5)
- crackers (2)
- Easter (1)
- Flatbreads / Pizza (1)
- HBin5-No Knead (18)
- Make your own (4)
- Mellow Bakers (1)
- Pasta (2)
- Pie (3)
- Quick Breads (5)
- Rolls and such (1)
- Rye (1)
- Sandwich Bread (1)
- Schwarzbrot (1)
- Sheet cake (3)
- Sheet cake w/yeast (2)
- snacks (1)
- Sourdough (2)
- Sweet breads (1)
- The Modern Baker (11)
- Yogurt (2)
- Heaven, I’m in Heaven… jelly pepper cheese cookies...
- Wednesday Cake “Blob cake”
- Nothing fishy about that… (Gold fish crackers)
- Nutty squirrels…(Buttermilk cake with walnut)
- With the luck of the Irish….(5 HBin5 –Pesto/Pine n...
- Bagels anyone? (5 HBin5 –Avocado/Guacamole dough)
- It’s that time of month again… (5 HBin5 –Avocado-G...
- That is how you eat your math….(Cherry Pie)
- Carrot cake
- A cupboard full of preserves…..(Jam-packed Streuse...
- Toastbrot mit Weizensauerteig /Sandwich bread with...
- Oh, oh! necessity makes inventive
- Sourdough, it does not get much better than this
- Gotta get that Vitamin C somehow! Lemon sheet cake...
- Where India and the Middle East meet…. ...
- Mediterranean flair and the roaring of a lion… ...
- Chocolate bread pudding, what can I say….(3 HBin5 ...
- ▼ March (17)