About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Oh, oh! necessity makes inventive

We have a saying in Germany “necessity makes inventive” (die Not macht Erfinderisch). Inventive I became when I found this yogurt in our basement
DSCF1010

refrigerator way past it’s expiration date. My first instinct was to toss it. But the lid seemed fine, there was no swelling so curiosity won. I opened the lid took a taste and guess what, it’s still fine. I guess whatever they are doing to the fat molecules and who knows what is keeping this yogurt still eatable almost 2 month after it’s prime. Makes me think that I need to move on to real fresh milk and make my own.

So here I am with half a liter of still usable yogurt and there is only one thing between the yogurt and the oven. A good recipe, I started searching the German net and I came across the cup method which has somewhat become popular here. It’s basically what the US has been doing forever, using a cup to measure.
Also called the 1-2-3 method (well I guess I just made that up). This batter came together very fast, there is really nothing to it and it would be a great first cake for a young future baker.
A quick lick from the bowl (oh, come on I know you do that too when no one is looking!) and I think we have a winner in the quick and easy category.
 DSCF1018

Yogurt-Lemon-Poppy seed cake
Ingredients:

1 c yogurt
2 c sugar (2T of which are vanilla sugar)
3 c flour
3 eggs
3/4c canola oil
2 tsp. baking powder
2 T poppy seeds
Zest from one lemon
1/2 tsp lemon extract (I used extract to give it lemon flavor. I did not wanted to add more acid since the yogurt was sour itself)

Mix the flour with the baking powder and sugars. Add all other ingredients and mix until smooth.
Prepare a baking form and fill it.
Bake at 180F for about 40 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
DSCF1027
This cake is not bad but not one of my favorite either. It is very moist and heavy the first day. I think it’s much better the next day and who knows maybe it’s one of those that taste best on the third day? Only tomorrow will tell.
I could not taste the lemon extract at all so I would up it to 1 tsp. next time.
I like my normal lemon poppy seed much better so if there is a next time I would simply not add the poppy seeds to not give me the illusion of it being what it’s not.
Overall it is a cake that is quick, easy and maybe just right for a breakfast with fruits. Come to think of it, it might be a great one to toast.
What surprised me is that it does not taste very sweet at all. With 2 cups of sugar I would have expected it to be much sweeter and it was not. Maybe it was due to the very tart yogurt.
Out of ten I give it a five.

UPDATE:
Yup, it’s real good on day 3. This would be a good cake to make a few days in advance of when you need it. Made a good breakfast with some fresh pear and a glass of milk for my son this morning. It’s been upgraded to a 6. Not a piece was left over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Followers