About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Monday, April 19, 2010

PostHeaderIcon The Modern Baker: another challenge begins…

Hello, my name is Petra and I am an addict, a cookbook addict to be exact.
Especially baking books are dear to my heart and I enjoy adding them to my growing collection.

I might need an intervention in the future but until then I will happily find new reasons to expand my collection.

I would say the new baking challenge: “The modern Baker”  hosted by Phil would count as a good enough reason.

Yup, I thought you might agree so I went ahead and ordered the book from Big Dog Trading company. It was under ten dollars and even with shipping still $10 less than with Amazon direct. I sure love a bargain as much as I love cook books.

The only downside on ordering with affiliates of Amazon is the fact that most of them ship surface which means it takes weeks for it to get to me here in Germany (APO address). Amazon on the other side only takes about a week.

My book did not arrive in time for the challenge to start the beginning of April. That does not really matter though since the first part of the challenge (Quick Breads) will be stretched over 3 month so there is time to make all 15 by the end of June.

Since we will be leaving Germany this summer I will attempt to get the “Quick Breads” done by the end of May when our Household goods will be shipped out.
The First bread I choose actually chose itself.

A glance to my banana bowl showed the need for quick action.

DSCF1556 Since I will be baking through the entire book during this challenge I will not post any recipes out of this book as a courtesy to the author unless I find them on the internet. With this one you are in luck. The author himself posted it here.

Looking through the book I found many recipes I am excited about trying so I feel the $10 are well worth the price.

If you are unsure or if money is tight see if your local library has a copy, can order a copy from another branch or even purchase a copy for your branch. Happy Baking!

Cocoa Banana Muffins
page 60  The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri

http://food.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977502905
Makes 16 standard muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off)
2/3 cup alkalized (Dutch process) cocoa powder, sifted after measuring
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork to make 1 1/2 cups
1/2 cup sour cream
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
Two 12-cavity muffin pans with 8 paper liners in each

  1. Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees
  2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
  3. In a separate bowl, stir together the mashed bananas and sour cream; set aside.
  4. Combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and place on mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for about a minute, or until well mixed and a little lightened in color.
  5. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating smooth after each addition.
  6. Decrease the mixer speed to low and beat in half the flour mixture. Stop the mixer and use a large rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and beater.
  7. On low speed, beat in the banana mixture. After the batter has absorbed the banana mixture, beat in the remaining flour mixture.
  8. Stop and scrape down the bowl and beater again.
  9. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a large rubber spatula to give a final mixing to the batter.
  10. Divide the batter equally among the paper-lined cavities in the muffin pans.
  11. Bake the muffins for about 30 minutes, or until they are well risen and feel firm to the touch. Because this is such a liquid batter, test a muffin with a toothpick or the point if a thin-bladed knife – it should emerge with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
  12. Cool the muffins in the pan on a rack.
   DSCF1607

With 3 Bananas and 2/3c Dutch processed cocoa powder in this recipe I knew I would be in for a great treat. My worries that this might be to sweet (1 1/2 c sugar) where swept away with the first bite. Yum, is what I was thinking as I devoured it.

 Cocoa Banana Muffins

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Glad your book finally arrived. You shouldn't have any trouble getting to all the recipes. We're just starting week 3, and I've already baked 8 out of the 15 quick breads.

Kayte said...

I haven't gotten to this recipe yet, but you certainly make a good case for getting to it soon...yours look wonderful, inside and out!

Anonymous said...

They look great! Where will you be moving this summer?

Post a Comment



Followers