About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Thursday, April 15, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Another reason to be thankful for your daily bread!…7 HBin5 –Gluten-Free Olive Oil Bread

This part of the HBin5 challenge makes me so thankful for gluten tolerance. I never put much thought into it until I was confronted with the Gluten free Olive Oil bread dough. I still have the remnants of it sitting in my fridge. I had high hopes for it with pictures of dumplings and pizza floating in my head.
In my head they will remain since I can’t bring myself to actually pull the dough out again and as time passes I am more and more reluctant to give it a go. Usually time has a healing propriety but sadly that was not the case with this dough.
When I first made it I was repelled by the smell of the dough which was unpleasant. It did not rise that much during it’s resting period and was very heavy for it’s size after it was baked.
It came out looking beautiful and was “ok” to eat. Most of it however did end up in the trashcan and I am afraid the rest of the dough will follow that is if I can force myself to pull it out of the fridge.
Maybe it will become a “fuzzy” new pet. In that case I would have to name it. Can’t have any pet remain nameless now can we?
I need some help with that process though since I am really bad with naming things. Any ideas?

DSCF1495

April 15th Bread Braid
1 full recipe of Gluten-Free Olive Oil Bread
Page 238-239 – 1 loaf of Gluten-free Olive Oil Brad
Changes:
I did grind brown rice to make my own flour using the vitamix
For the tapioca I ground some minute tapioca
Used chickpea (Gram) flour instead of soy flour
Instead of cornstarch I used potato starch (had that in the house but not enough cornstarch)
I used carob (locust bean, Johannisbrot) instead of xanthan gum

DSCF1463
DSCF1467
DSCF1471
DSCF1472
DSCF1474
DSCF1478
DSCF1481
DSCF1483
DSCF1493
 
DSCF1488
Now head on over to Michelle’s blog Big black dog and see how the rest of the group used up this dough and what they thought of it.
Not everyone’s taste buds are the same and what I like you might despise and what I don’t like you might love so give it a try and judge for yourself.
If you are in fact Gluten intolerant this might even be the bread for you.

13 comments:

Carolyn™ said...

Hullo from Australia, you certainly went to a lot of trouble and it looks good. If you can eat eggs why couldnt you turn it into French toast or bread and butter pudding? There must be something you could put on top or do with it to make the taste appealing to you. You mentioned pizza enough herbs and garlic and you wouldnt care what the bread was. :)

Femalechef said...

I wish I had a vitamix!!! Boy you sure think out of the box..........great job and your bread crumb looks wonderful.

Joanna said...

I agree with femalechef, you did get a wonderful loaf out of this dough. I may be tempted to try it next!

Clarice said...

I commend you on all your substitutions! I don't think I would have been able to figure all that out.

Thanks for trying this dough and writing about your experience. I decided to skip this one.

Jessica said...

I didn't try this one, but reading various people's post, I figured it wasn't a favorite. I didn't have the money to buy new ingredients, so I skipped it. But I think your loaf does look delicious!

Michelle said...

Your loaf does looks good! And the crumb on your bread looks just like the crumb on the loaf of Gluten Free that I made.

With such varied results amongst our group I am more interesting in working with the dough again.

Cristie said...

What a beautiful loaf, simply lovely. I agree with you about being grateful to be able to eat wheat worry free. I haven't made the gluten free bread yet, but when I do I'll so many things to consider.

chow and chatter said...

i had exactly the same experience it does look great though LOL

Jenny said...

It did turn out to be a beautiful loaf. I haven't baked mine yet, so I can't say much about flavor. I'm going to try mine today.
~Jenny~

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Your loaf looks beautiful! Too bad you didn't like it.

I haven't gotten to this one yet. I'll be making it for the next braid.

Ezzie said...

I was saddened for you that you didn't like the taste all that much. The pics of it look great, the crumb looks good and your pizza looks so tasty with the sprouts on it. I haven't made this one yet, but will eventually! Thanks for the comments...they all help!

Guff said...

I did not notice any off odor, and actually kind of liked the sesame baguette. Like you, however, I am glad that cleiac disease is not one of my burdens.

Elwood said...

What a beautiful loaf of bread.

Post a Comment



Followers