About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Friday, April 30, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Milk and Honey Raisin Bread…8 Hbin5

HBin 5, Milk and Honey Raisin Bread
1/2 recipe
page 270
changes: I used coconut milk instead of the water

The second loaf for this month HBin5 bread braid is the Milk and Honey Raisin Bread.
The dough was very stiff when I whipped it up considering this bread only has 4 cups of fluids to over 9 cups of flour I am not surprised.
I was tempted to add quite a bit of milk to this one but did not just to see how this would turn out. I let it sit for 2 hours and put it in the fridge for about 4 hours than got ready make a loaf.
After shaping the loaf I still had a little dough left over so I made some cinnamon rolls (Schneckennudel) from the rest.
Simply whipped up some cinnamon, sugar and butter, spread it on the dough, rolled it up and cut them.

2010-04-2922010-04-293
The cinnamon rolls turned out great however I will add more milk to it next time to give it more moisture and a lighter interior.
The loaf was not cut yet so can’t say how the crumb turned out. Will do a shot when I cut into it.

 

To see what the rest of HBin5 Group made with these dough’s head on over to Michelle's blog “Big Black dogs”

Recipe – found on the net here

4 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 cups unbleached AP flour
1 1/2 tbsp granulated yeast (or two packets)
1 tbsp kosher salt (I increase the salt by a bit in all the recipes in this book, as they purposely decreased it for the sodium-conscious)
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
2 cups milk
2 cups lukewarm water
1/3 cup honey or agave
3/4 cup raisins (I used more - at least a cup)
egg wash for brushing top
raw sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Whisk together flours, yeast salt and vital wheat gluten
2. Combine remaining ingredients and mix them with a spoon or food processor
3. Cover (not airtight_and allow to rise at room temp for 2 hours until dough rises and collapses)
4. Easier to work with cold dough - refrigerate and use up to 10 days
5. On baking day, grease 8.5 x 4.5 inch nonstick loaf pan. Flour the top and cut off 2-lb piece of dough. Shape into a ball as you normally would.
6. Shape into oval and place in pan. Allow to rest covered in plastic wrap for 90 minutes.
7. Thirty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375 with rack in center of oven. No stone required.
8. Just before baking, brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar (don't go too crazy or the top gets too dark).
9. Bake 45 minutes until brown and firm.
10. Immediately remove from pan and allow to cool before slicing.

12 comments:

Raelyn said...

Love how your pictures turned out. I can almost taste them.

chow and chatter said...

your loaf looks wonderful

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your loaf looks good. The crumb of mine was great. I got a nice soft and slightly sweet bread. Coconut milk is an excellent variation.

Lynda said...

Yum! Your loaf is beautiful!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I used a swirl of cinnamon in my loaf of Milk and Honey bread. The coconut milk must have given the dough a wonderful flavor!

~Susan

Bonnie said...

We loved this bread. The coconut milk would add a nice flavor. Good idea!

Joanne said...

I love that you made buns out of these, and that coconut milk addition is genius! Just beautiful.

Michelle said...

I substituted Coconut Flour in some recipes but I've yet to try Coconut Milk. I bet it makes the dough very rich and wonderful.

Love all your mosaics too!

Ezzie said...

Great job on this one also Petra!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Yummy! I haven't made this one yet. I'll have to remember to add more liquid. Thanks for the tip!

Elwood said...

Your bread looks great!

Mama Peck said...

They look wonderful! Love the idea of coconut milk. :)

Post a Comment



Followers