About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Strawberry Shortcakes a perfect ending to a delicious meal

When I went shopping yesterday and browsing the produce isle what caught my eyes where these strawberries.
DSCF1811 All winter long I have been watching to buy seasonal and regional and with the arrival of Spring we are so ready for some fresh fruits and vegetables.
I checked to see where these strawberries came from since our strawberries here are nowhere ready to be harvested. Asparagus is in full harvest mode but not strawberries.
The label told me they came from Spain (not regional for sure). I hesitated since that would mean a long haul to get here. Than I started to think about our upcoming move to El Paso.
There most things will have to be trucked in from surrounding more hospitable areas.
I went to check on Google Map to see how far it would be from my place in Bavaria near the Czech border to Barcelona, Spain and found out it’s 1493 km (about 933 miles) from our house. According to Google maps that comes out to 13.22 hours of driving time.
Next I checked how far it would be across Texas from El Paso to Texarkana and that turned out to be 811 miles or 13.32 hours driving time.
As you can see from the picture above I caved in and bought the Strawberries and turned them into this seasons first Strawberry shortcakes.
This is a dessert that’s so quick, easy and well loved in our home.
Here is the Recipe I use. It originates from the Joy of cooking which I adapted.2010-04-27

Shortcake Recipe

makes 6 shortcakes
2c Flour (all purpose)
2.5 tsp baking powder
  .5 tsp salt
1T sugar
1.25c heavy cream
Filling:
Strawberries (as little or as much as you like)
Sugar
Assembly
Whipped cream

Mix dry ingredients. Add the heavy cream and with a fork mix just until it all comes together (moistened).
With your hands bring it all together. Divide into 6 and shape into shortcakes (I take the cut piece and just go with my hands around it cradling it in my hands until its round).
You can brush some milk or heavy cream on top and sprinkle with some more sugar or just sprinkle with sugar like I did here.
Bake @ 450F for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Strawberries
Wash, dry and slice your strawberries. Add some sugar (depending on how sweet you like it), mix and let sit for a while. I let mine sit for at least one hour or longer. Great to make ahead. Just put in the fridge and get them out when you need them.
The sugar will bring the juices out softening the strawberries and creating a delicious “sauce” at the same time.

Assembly:
Cut open one shortcake. Top the bottom half with strawberries and whipped cream. Add the top half of the shortcake. Voila, all done!
DSCF1845

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Followers