About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Saturday, January 16, 2010

PostHeaderIcon When your freezer calls your name (Zwetschgenkuchen)

Since I am not quite ready to post the first bread of the HBin5 challenge I thought I would share the goods I baked yesterday with you.
I still have quite a few bags of frozen "Zwetschgen" in my freezer and I need to use them up so I thought I would bake what the Bavarians call a "Zwetschgendatschi" and we Schwabians call a "Zwetschgenkuchen".
               This recipe is easily changed to take any type of fruit as topping.
If you don't have Zwetschgen or plums in your freezer why not try some seasonal fruits. Apples would be a great choice or even some Jam you want to use up. I have canned homemade apple pie filling in my pantry and I often use it on top of that yeast dough instead of making a more traditional apple pie. You could also just top it with some crumbs to make it a crumb cake or some butter, cinnamon and sugar. You see if you can think of it you can top this dough with it.
DSCF1148 
Dough: • 375 g flour (13 1/4 oz.)
• 8 g yeast (2 1/4 tsp, or 1/4 oz.)
• 50 g sugar (1 3/4 oz.)
• 75 g melted butter (2 5/8 oz.)
• 250 ml milk (8 oz, or 1 cup)
(I melt the butter and add the milk, you want this luke warm) • pinch of salt

Mix all of it to form a soft tacky but not sticky dough
DSCF0803
Cover and let rise until doubled (about 45 min.)
DSCF0806DSCF0809
  butter a baking sheet (mine is 33cm x 41 cm / 13 inches x 16 inches)
Take your dough and roll it onto your baking sheet
DSCF0811 DSCF0808
Now for the Plums. I use frozen ones. To use them I get them out the day prior and defrost them. I put them in a salad spinner and let the juices drip off over night (fridge). When I am ready to use them I pour off the juices and give them a quick spin. Now you are ready to use them.
                                                     Layer the Plums on the dough

DSCF1442

Our last step is to make some "Streusel" for our topping. You certainly can use your favorite here or you can use mine.
                                                                 
                                   Streusel 


                                    300g flour (10 5/8 oz) 
                                    200g sugar (7 1/8 oz) 
                                    165 - 200g butter, room temperature (5 3/4 - 7 1/8 oz.)

Depending if you want bigger pieces and a denser streusel. I use about 165g and it makes a drier streusel. Mix it up in your kitchen machine (dough hook) or by hand.
Cover your Plums and bake for about 30 min at 180C or 350F. Keep in mind that every oven is different. I have to set mine to about 160C to get it to 180C. You want it golden not dark.
DSCF1147
                      Enjoy! This makes a great cake to take to a potluck

           If you decide to make it please let me know how it turned out for you

Update: My new pan is 14x17 inches (36x43 cm). Just to show you don’t have to be exact. It’s a guide so you know what size the dough approx. covers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Followers