About Me

My photo
Middleburg, FL, United States
.
Saturday, January 16, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Walnut Wedges of Decadence as seen on "Food Vagabond"

Two days ago I linked from this blog to this recipe and the nut bowl below no longer had to fear to become squirrel food in the future
I was a bit hesitant to try because of the caraway seeds used in this recipe.
I mean, what do seeds that I usually use in cabbage dishes and bread would taste like in a dessert?
A day after seeing the recipe I decided to bake it.
Results:  The dough was quick and easy to assemble.
               I thought that the crust would bubble up quite a bit since it was not blind baked
               but this did not happen and it came out just right.
I added an oven guard underneath because I thought my Springform
might leak but that did not happen either.


I followed the recipe pretty much except I only used 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (I was to chicken to use the whole tsp) and I used chocolate sprinkles rather than chopped chocolate and I forgot the orange peel.
I was expecting the caramel to thicken up more but even after a few extra minutes that did not happen. So don't be surprised if it does not thicken up it will still be just right when it's done. The chocolate sprinkles did not really melt but added a nice look and a chocolaty taste to it.

Verdict: I was really surprised how well it turned out. After the initial taste I was not quite sure what to think of it but it grew on me. I served this today at a church fellowship and everyone who tried it liked it.
The biggest surprise was that the kids seemed to like it the most. I really did not expect that. The second surprise was my 15 year old son who was disappointed that I did not keep a slice for him for later on.
                           I will make this again and it will be on our Thanksgiving table.
Changes: I will follow the recipe to a “T” next time
Springform: I used a 28 cm / 11 inch form and cut the pie into 16 slices

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Followers